Years ago, Tony and I had the awesome priveledge of seeing/hearing Brent Lamb speak at our church. Brent is a member of the country group Shenandoah, a Christian, and a terrific speaker. His songs are so raw, and open-hearted. Check him out if you like country music!
He performed this song about how our children are watching everything we do. Mimicking us. Doing what we do, good OR bad. Even walking like us, talking like us. Such a simple concept really, but something to constantly be reminded of as we go through the emotions of life. Even something simple as driving to the grocery store can be quite an "ordeal" and teaching moment. (ever experienced road rage!?) You get my point, I'm sure.
So, today at breakfast, my resident dancer/groover (Elijah) started busting out to the Christmas music. Now, this little guy does not hold back. I LOVE it. He's sitting in his chair, and I look over at Micah in his high chair, and he starts doing THE EXACT SAME MOVES! My boys can DANCE! It was honestly the CUTEST thing EVER! I love hearing my kids sing songs about Jesus, or praising Him through dance. I KNOW it makes Jesus smile...and maybe even laugh a little too. Can you picture that?
Anways...it just made me think. Already, at 16 months, Micah is desperate to follow in the steps of "Big Brother." And, you know in turn, they are watching Tony & I.
Just something that made me think.....
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So true! Born copycats they are; at our last church they taught the kids a song about being a copycat of the Lord! Halle is mimicing everything Averi does down to how Averi sets her jammies on the stairs every morning and Averi will mimic me and want to wear "a dress or pants" to bed just like me.
A very powerful reminder of how much they watch us happened the other day. I am experiementing with how to incorporate a "quiet" time of our day where the kids get used to reading their bible and praying. Don't want to make it a boring routine but also realize that this doesn't happen at all if you aren't intentional.
So I had been having them sit and do this for about 10 minutes a day while I got lunch ready...multi-tasking is a love of mine! But I read in this awesome book "Mission of Motherhood" how powerful it is for our kids to see us in the Word and what they can learn from that.
So I decided to join them in their quiet time and it was really sweet and beautiful. I didn't get much reading done since they asked me a million questions about their bible stories in their children's bibles...but then I just decided to bow my head to pray and within a minute both girls had copied me and were doing the same.
Today was our second day doing it and when I began to pray both girls copied again and after a minute Averi started to pray out loud, thanking God for her bible. I prayed as well and then we sing "I Love you Lord" together. Hudson meanwhile is climbing all over me like the monkey man that he is but I know he'll be joining in soon.
I love that God made our kids to adore us when they are young and I truly believe that is a feeling that is NOT meant to go away.
Would love to see a video of your dancing boys Becky!
Post a Comment