Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't EVER Challenge the Mama Bear

I realized something today, that I've sort of always known. I will go at any lengths to protect my kids.

Without going into ALL the details...mostly because I am ashamed...I had a lady at Target today accuse my child of throwing a Hershey Kiss at her..."your child just THREW this at me and it hit my foot!!" She said in a I-can't-believe-your-child-could-DO-that-I'm-appauled sort of tone."

I had all the kids with me. I'm not exactly sure which one of them she was accusing. They didn't throw it. Elijah found it on the floor and asked if he could have it. I said "no," and put it on top of the clothing rack so it wouldn't get stepped on or eaten by another kid. None of the kids could reach it...it was up high.

Not long after that, I assume it fell off, and rolled to her foot. She then proceeded to hand it to me, said what she said (from above pragraph,) then glare, roll her eyes, and storm off in disgust at my un-ruly children.

Well, that lit me up like the fourth of July. Don't EVER accuse my kids of doing something that I KNOW for a fact they did NOT do. And if you're not adult enough to handle the situation, then DON'T even bring it up. I tried to explain to her (before she stormed off) that I had set it up high, and that it just fell off the rack. They couldn't have possibly thrown it....well, all that fell short.... She wouldn't listen to me...she just rolled her eyes and walked away.

So, after explaining to the kids that I KNOW they didn't throw it, she was just having a bad day, and decided to take it out on us...we proceeded on. I was LIVID. My blood and adrenaline were BOILING!

So, guess what? I saw her again....this time, I went for it. I'm not proud of what I said to her...it wasn't Godly. It wasn't anything with four letters, but it may as well have been. It was quite the scene. I'm sure people were expecting a fist fight to break out. She said hurtful things too, mostly about my kids. I was the mama bear, and my cubs were attacked. I was protecting them, and yes, getting some vengenace out that I felt I deserved. (I shouldn't have done it.) For those of you who know I "confront" things head on....this by far surpassed them all. It wasn't obscene. It was PG. The kids were there, like I said, and they were upset that she lied about THEM.

It sounds so stupid. It sounds like such a petty thing. But, I can honestly say, I become an entirely different person when my kids are attacked or threatened, or even accused when innocent. She obviously was not a mom...any other mom knows how crazy even a quick trip to the store becomes with three children...we should all extend a little grace, and I'm positive we "moms" do! Why is it that people want to tell us how to parent? Why do THEY think when our kids are in a middle of a meltdown that their advice, or ill-reaction for that matter, HELP!? To those people, I say, bring it on. I dare you...go ahead and tell me how to parent. I guarantee, I'll tell YOU exactly what I think.

I'm not saying this because I'm proud of what I did...or how I reacted. But, I'm simply saying, I REACT! I'm a re-actor! Instead of blowing it off as "she had a bad day"....I let it eat me, and I attacked back. I need forgiveness, and I need to pray for her....I KNOW that in my heart. But, I'm not ready to do that today, not right now. I think I will at some point, but today, this afternoon, I just need to cry and love on my babies.....

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry this happened to you :(
I know that feeling all too well (I yelled at a bunch of kids the other day for using the f-word at the mall in front of my kids... and I mean I YELLED at them. They were so rude!)... anyways, I know how flustered you can get though when that happens and then you think about it all day long.

Good for you, for standing up for your kids though, you might think you could have handled it differently, but at least they saw their mama, stand up for them!

Carly said...

I feel your pain Becky! My worst pet peeve is unsolicited parenting advice from complete strangers.
I am sure I would have said something too, as most moms would have...it's that natural instinct to protect our young huh?
I try to aviod trips to the store with all three munchkins...it always turns into some sort-of adventure when all three are in tow.

Kelly said...

ROAR! I was all flared up just reading your post. I am the same way. When it comes to my kids and my man I just can't barely control myself. But we do have to show a little grace to others who don't really understand and have what we have. We are blessed so blessed to have our beautiful kids and husbands. I love you and I hope your day goes better!

Unknown said...

Mama Bears unite! he-he! I so feel you today! What it is about that Mama Bear thing? :)
It's downright primitive! I'm with you, I could take someone's head off - just like that....grin...:)
It happens. Don't beat yourself up. You're not perfect and yeah, maybe GOD wouldn't have done that, but aint it nice to be reminded we aint God? :) he-he
Have a fantabulous day...and know you're loved no matter what! :)
Hey, I want to run the Shamrock - but I think the 10k. and I got a friend that wants to do the 5k.

Erica said...

Sigh, I totally hear you! I would have done the SAME thing! We are all great momma bears and our kids are going to know that we have their backs....priceless!!!

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh! People are so crazy sometimes! I thought my son was being excluded yesterday from a super hero birthday party (when his little sister was invited but not him) and I was so mad! I did the opposite though. I let it eat at me and kept it all inside. She explained later that the other older kids there had invited themselves and she was already completely overwhelmed and she didn't ever want to hurt his feelings or make him feel unwanted. I felt much better, but I was still surprised how quickly I got mad!