Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Amazing Race

I am honestly so proud to say that I was a participant and FINISHER of the world's largest race. The NIKE HUMAN RACE took place today. It was HARD! (Not gonna lie) But, I had an amazing time. To think while I was running...this is happening in 25 of the largest cities in the world all for such a good cause. It was overwhelming. Matt Zafino was there as the emcee (MC.) Greg Oden spoke "words of encouragement" before the gun went off. (He is HUGE) Nada Surf was the after party concert performers. It was inspiring...there was a guy in a wheelchair that came in FIRST. He had a one minute head start, and maintained it throughout the entire race! Amazing. I saw a mom pushing her daughter's wheelchair...a couple of dads with their kids running beside them. It was just really cool. I forgot my camera...AND my phone...so, I have no "human race" pictures to show...BUT, we had a "NELSON HUMAN RACE" when I got home, complete with "Piston Cup" trophies and all...here's my race jersey. Nike designed dri-fit shirts for every runner. We all wore these and each had a unique number. Then, coming across the finish, we got batons, inside were these really cute bracelets (it's hard to see, but there are runners on the front of it)I took some AMAZING- Can I say AMAZING again...sports performance supplements from Advocare and I can not even EXPLAIN the awesome way my body reacted to them. Not only did I have a personal best for time...but, distance as well. Truth be told, I had not run a 10k in one stetch before today. I'm not sore, I felt amazing. My lungs were pumping and I had so much energy...not shaky energy like caffeine, but my muscles just felt like they were PUMPING themselves. Don't get me wrong, the race was hard. Mentally, I started to break down at mile four. Tony wasn't able to come...and that's when I decided I would have my pity party cause I saw all these other kids' cheering their moms and dads on.
And, I was feeling it at the point. I had just gone through two steady inclines and I was doubting myself. I took some excel gel (again, from Advocare) and pushed through. It was AMAZING. No other word can possibly describe it. I know that my training prior to today was really not up to par, plus I have been battling this cold....so, with a lot of prayer, and these supplements, I FINISHED STRONG!

Here's what the kids' race looked like (with our neighbor kidd0s):

The starting line....and a CLOSE race!!

The finish line and our trophies (I was able to get two extra batons/bracelets for the kids) This is my only picture of me in my jersey. Hopefully I'll get some from Nike and be able to post them from the race...in action!

Today was amazing. The adrenaline at races is so contagious. I'm looking forward to the Girlfriends Half Marathon in October...I certainly have some training cut out for me...but, just to say "I DID IT!"....well, that's enough for me!

5 comments:

Themorrisbunch said...

WOW! You are awesome!
My sister does triathlons, she is just amazing to me!
Sounds like you had a blast!

Erin said...

Good Job Becky! YOU ARE AWESOME!

Tami said...

Way to go Becky!! I knew you could do it!! I hope you can find pictures from Nike of you running. Keep up the good work and you WILL be doing your triathlon before you know it!

Unknown said...

Way To Go, Becky!!!i'm so glad you got to do it!
GOOD JOB!
Angela

Anonymous said...

Congrats runner girl! I'm so proud of you. It is awesome that you made the commitment and finished the race!

love, Suz