Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Beautiful Boy

I started reading "Beautiful Boy" at work during my breaks. All local Starbucks are carrying this book at the moment, and I just have to say what an amazing eye opener it is. The author writes his "memoir" or as I like to call it...his testimony about his sons addiction to crystal meth. I can not believe the temptations that kids go through these days, and at such a young age. The book is both depressing and a page turner. (If that is even possible) I believe knowledge is power, and that we can learn extraordinary things from others' lives who've taken different paths than possibly our own. The author questions what he did wrong as a parent and I'm sure we can or will relate to that as our kids grow and learn to make their own choices whether they are good...or bad. I remember my own school days like they were yesterday. And graduating eleven years ago...certainly does not feel like over a decade has gone on...but certainly the drug "epidemic" has grown leaps and bounds in that short time. When I was in school, I had never even heard of Crystal Meth. Perhaps I was too involved in sports and socializing to get "into" that kind of trouble. Frankly, I just didn't have time. If I wasn't at school, or a sporting event, I was home sleeping. I am grateful for that.
Another fabulous book "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters" by Meg Meeker (A MUST read for all dads with daughters) says that 8.7 % of high school students have used cocain in various forms, 11.5 % of females attempted suicide last year, 28.3% of high school students had more than 5 drinks in a row on more than one day in the last month, 46.7% of students will be sexually active before high school ends, within the last year, 74.9% of students have had one or more drinks each day for several days in a row. Do these numbers seem astronomical to anyone else?
Two of my kids will be in preschool next year...which means two SHORT years after that, they are at the "school age" that many of these statistics BEGIN. Are they ready? Have I prepared them? What will the "new" drugs be? Have I even heard of them? I write this blog not depress or overwhelm anyone as parents, but to open your eyes to the lies and deception that is out their devouring our youth. Now, more than ever we must keep the lines of communication open with our kids. Dr. Meeker states this:
1. Make a Plan. Your aspirations for your daughter (children) will be clearest when she is young. When she's an infant, you know with crystal clarity what you will expect from her: everything from what whe will be allowed to say and do to whom she can date. Write it down now, and keep it clear in your thinking. So have your rules inscribed like the Ten Commandments - and stick to them.
2. Have Courage Under Fire - Yes, you will be fired upon - by friends, pop psychologists, television programs, your wife/husband, and your daughter (children). Keep your cool, but be firm. Remember that when she/he pushes hard agianst your rules, flailing, crying that you are mean or unfair, she is really asking your a question: Am I worth the fight, Dad? Are you strong enough to handle me? Make sure she knows the answer is yes!
I believe and I'm sure we all believe that is a resounding "YES, they are WORTH it!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I tell you that I am more passionate about this topic than I am about almost anything else??? Raising our kids to live for God's glory rather than like so many of us grown-ups that finally "getting our heads (and hearts) together well into adulthood.

Can I recommend two books that turned our already (or so we thought) Christ centered parenting on its head? Lou Priolo writes Teach them Diligently and Heart of Anger. The main points are this: Use the bible to effectively train your children in righteousness. Make sure they know what their goal is in everything from why they obey mommy and daddy to why they are expected to be kind to their sibling. Because God commands it and His Love for us is so immense that obedience is one crucial way to show Him how much we love Him in return.

If you aren't using scripture in your daily life and conversations with your kiddos this is an EXCELLENT book that helps you understand where to start. We started with Galations 5:22 - the fruit of the spirit - and my kids have learned about 20 verses in less than a year. And these are verses that are directly applicable to the daily issues we face in our house.

This gives new understanding on what Deut. 6:7 means: "And you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up." ***and may I say that MOST of us even IF we were raised in Christian homes were not parented like this so it is that much more important to seek God's councel for areas where you are "missing" key oppurtunities to teach His Word.

After a few months Averi was praying scripture! "Dear God help us to hear the word of God and obey it..." (Luke 11:28) It was like God was hollering into my heart "See, Look even the world says little children are sponges but now you are finally getting WHY I created them to be like this! Not to memorize the theme song for Barney or to recognize the Target emblem before they can read! But because my Word is key to their success and to their ability to fulfill my Purpose for their lives!"

Sorry to "blog" inside your blog Becky! This issue is just on my heart 24/7. The biggest thing I see is that parents are missing out on priceless time to do so before the world gains more of their children's time than they have with their own kids. They will be filled up with something - whether it is things of the world or things of the Kingdom...just depends on who gets there first!

Unknown said...

Hey becky - just wanted to let you know I am enjoying your blog ~ I am so glad I met you and I love hearing your thoughts on things!

Stephanie said...

I have these two books on my list to read, they sound really interesting!