So, I just got home...from work. We had a SCARY, crazy night. My friend and I were in the process of closing the store. It was about 9:45pm, when this guy starts banging on the door. Praise God, it was locked. So, she proceeds to try and communicate with him THROUGH the glass door. (Bless her pea pickin' heart for not opening it.) He claims he is here to "check the sensor." She asks for id, he says "hmmm, don't have that, but I have the work truck." So...suspicious? YES! Crazy? YES! As if two women are going to open the door for you to check "the sensor." You could've hijacked the truck for all I know. (A few too many movies you might say!) So, I run to the back and call my boss...I WAKE my boss up. She has no idea what he would be there for, no "sensor" checking that she is aware of. She says "what sensor!?" And, if it was for something with the food pastry case, or refridgerators, they usually come during business hours. NOT 45 mins after we are already CLOSED. So...we basically hide in the back. She was crawling on the floor so he wouldn't see her. It was totally hilarious...looking back now. We were prepared to call the cops, when I decided to call Tony. He has the neighbor come over to be with the kiddos, and Tony comes down to the store...WITH HIS TENNIS RACKET! Now, most guys would bring a baseball bat. No, not my husband, he bring a TENNIS RACKET! HA! He shows up, my friend grabs his arm, and heads out to tell the guy we have no idea who you are or what you are talking about. He explains, shows id (funny, where did he finally find that), and was an actual gentlemen about the situation..he leaves, and Tony, my knight in shining armor helps us leave safely. Moral of the story...at first was going to be "don't judge based on looks" but, then I thought Yes, that is exactly what we need to do in situations such as this. We were two women, and I'm so glad that we went with our gut instinct. Regardless of him having id, the whole thing was so suspicious. This has happened one other time with us, same shift. We nearly peed cause a guy actually came IN, dressed all in black, black beanie hat, puffy black jacket, black pants, shoes, everything was black, and said he was here to clean our grease traps. He had no id, looked like a complete thug, not to mention, we were counting the money and closing tills. That's the ONLY downside about my job...but I still love it!
So, a random post...but, I can't sleep now...my adrenaline is going mach 10,000. Thought I'd share about my scary night!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think that is awesome that you two listened to your instincts. I think that as women our need to "be nice" overshadows our God-given instincts to protect ourselves at times.
A few months ago I was in this outdoor mall with all three kids - Hudson on my hip and a girl on each side. I decided I didn't want to risk falling down the escalator with my brood so went towards this "enclosed" section of the mall where the elevator was in the back. About two seconds after we started walking down the hallway area - no one was around- I heard the door open and looked behind me and a man was behind us in a trenchcoat. It took about one second and I decided that even though it might look rude to NOT go any further with my kids and this man the only people around.
I turned around and walked back out the doors and passed right by him. As we headed down the escalator - falling on our faces seemed the LESSER risk at the moment- I watch him turn around and immediately come back out. He'd been in there for no reason it seems. Hmm. Scared the pee out of me too and I was checkin my rearview CONSTANTLY the whole way home.
Honestly though, I felt the peace of the Holy Spirit. That His prompting kept us from potential harm. Whether that guy wanted my wallet or worse or nothing at all. It was a poignant reminder to LISTEN. The voice of the Spirit is so quiet at times but He speaks and I'm just trying to figure out how to be a better listener!
I'm so glad you're ok. How scary!!! You guys need a little panic button!!! Great just for following your instincts!!!
That would have kept me up at night too! You did the right thing!
You BET you did the right thing!!!
I honestly can't believe the company that sent him didn't phone in ahead of time to tell you guys about it. We had that happen one time at Papa Murpheys... a guy was coming in the store to check the alarm and didn't have ID. It was in the morning so not SO scary, but still I was by myself! Luckily his partner did have ID and then Jeremy showed up soon after and knew him.
Companies should know better!
And I agree with Erica, why don't you have a panic button?
On another note did you see me almost get into a wreck waving at you?! John yelled STOP as I was honking and waving at you and I slammed on my brakes LOL!
Oh, Becks! How scary! But I was cracking up at the thought of Tony with the tennis racket.
Post a Comment