I know you're out there...are you reading my posts? If so...I need some info? I see there is the upcoming homeschooling conference in Oregon June 20 &21. My question is this: Is there a Washington one? If so, when and where. I'm thinking about this Oregon one, but would it be relevant to Washington's laws etc. Are they the same? Have any of you attended this one? If so, what are your thoughts.
I have another school year of "preschool" before our officially homeschooling would begin...IF it is to begin...so, there is always next years conference. I just wanted to put a "feeler" out there and tap some resources. Thanks in advance!
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Check out this link:http://www.watchhome.org/site/conferences/next-conference.html
It looks like there is one in Spokane in August.
My advice to you is to get connected with ACTUAL homeschoolers who can be a resource and save you hours of on line searching...
This is your local homeschool co-op although you probably know about it. www.firstclasshomeschool.org
If you scroll down the page they have playdates set up where parents of younger ones can meet so you can chat and get to meet other families planning to homeschool.
Me, personally, I chose to do Sonight this year with Averi for Kind. because it is very well laid out and structured and that way I feel more confident I am covering all the steps. They have a great forum to ask questions and I asked a simple question from their curriculum advisors and received a three paragraph response. :) Good customer service!
Hope that gives you some direction....
Thanks for the updates Willow. Since Elijah is not 5 until Sept
1oth, I have one more year of him with preschool. I wanted to go to the conference for two reasons, one to check out some curriculum, and two, to have Tony hear some of the speakers with me. We have been on the fence about homeschooling, and I think I'm leaning one way, but know that his support is crucial for us to succeed with it. I've MINIMALLY tapped into First Class...I am VERY impressed with what I've seen so far. So my question for you. How did you decide on Sonight? Did you try others first? That's where I get overwhelmed. How did you decide what curriculum you want to do without spending a fortune TESTING them all out? There seems to be so many!
Let me say this first: I am a structured kinda girl :) That being said a lot of curriculums that you have to pick and choose from and honestly not only does that make me nervous that I won't emphasize an area enough it's just downright too time consuming for me to put together each and every aspect.
First, what I have been doing with Averi the last year is this: (which by the way I got from The Well Trained Mind which is a Classical Approach.) Just a note I really like this method but without the support of people like Keren Goheen that is too much for me right now...
Anyways when Averi turned three we made sure we knew her letter/sound and then started on a book called Phonics Pathways. Then handwriting we did Handwriting without Tears. Then a Kumon workbook for math (just mainly number recognition and you can get 'em at Barnes and Noble)
Right now we are starting Kind. mainly because academically she is ready although socially she's not. I have realized this last year what a blessing it is to have your child be OLDER and therefore hopefully more mature and less easily impressed by their peers rather than younger...
Using what I mentioned above Averi is reading, counting to 100 with a little help, and writing pretty well.
I decided on Sonlight for a couple of reasons. It is very literature heavy and I want my kids exposed to ALL the classics that I somehow missed in my school experience. I want them to learn to grab a book rather than the remote. I like how it requires little prep time for the parent - umm...with three kiddos UNDER FIVE...Becky you get this!! I have little prep time available and when I do I am tired! :)
I like that it comes to you house in one order - you don't have to piece it together. I like that it provides a "lesson" plan to work from and it is much more desirable for me to decide not to do an activity they recommend then come up with them myself :) Also, it's just something that gives me reassurance I am track.
I didn't mention above, but the skills that Averi has developed have come from about 15-20 min. a day only of one on one time. We decided to take Averi out of preschool for numerous reason in January and she has really blossomed from a consistent 4-5 day consistent schedule. There is NO way that kids need 6 hours to learn the basics. In my humble opinion it is the teachers that NEED six hours to teach it to 20 or more children.
I confirm you absolutely need Tony on board. Just pray and pray. God will reveal to you if your children will benefit more from homeschooling. God just showed us in repeated situations how homeschooling was the way for us to go. When we moved here I took that as a possible sign that I maybe should not homeschool since I'd have no support. Boy, was I wrong. I am more convicted than ever. Though that being said I know that God wants some of our precious kiddos to be "lights" in the public schools.
Here's what clinched it for Jeremy - seeing the progress in what Averi and Halle are learning not only academically but spiritually. You have the oppurtunity as a homeschooling mom to address EACH and every behavior both within the context of school and outside of it. It can be exhausting, but so rewarding. I've had such joy seeing HOW kids learn - just another oppurtunity to see the unique creation that God designed them to be.
That all being said I don't know that we'll do it forever, but for the next few years at this time I feel convicted we will.
You need to start small, in my opinion, gain confidence with establishing a little routine, seeing how you teach, how they learn, and just ask around. Which is why having other moms advice is good since they can tell you what they did like or didn't.
For example, I asked around about Sonlight and Pris (I'll use as an example since you'll probably read and/or post something here) said her reason for not finding Sonlight right for her family was it was too much reading. I knew that would probably be a strength for us....Sonlight is definitely more expensive, but to me I know I would have spent more not buying it in some sort of package because I would always be thinking I didn't have "enough". :)
Ahh...alright that was probably way more info than you wanted! We just started Kind. three days ago and Jer is doing math :) It takes him about 10 minutes or so right now and it's weird but it's a nice chunk off my plate! Sharing in the responsibility a bit is huge.
I would love to get some conversation going on this since I hardly am an expert on the subject! Thanks for posting on this Becky.
One more thing to say - I know it's hard to believe I left anything out of the last email - but this biggest think I believe determines homeschooling success is the obedience of your children.
These two verses have been KEY in our house:
Do everything without complaining or arguing Phillipians 2:14
Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as if you are working for the Lord and not for men Collosians 3:23
If they don't obey right away or if they complain continuously the days will be long - trust me :) BUT if they learn they can bring Glory to God during handwriting and you get to be the one to give them a standing ovation for FINALLY learning to draw the letter "C" - well, it's just something to treasure :)
Hey Becky - just wanted to say I think it's so awesome you are thinking about homeschooling your kids. I think the main thing is having God lead you. Gosh, it can be so overwhelming trying to decide what's best for our precious kids. The whole time I have asked God to show me what to do. My girls have done public school staring in Kindergarten - and they have loved it! They have done so well, had wonderful teachers, and made lifelong friends (they're in 1st and 2nd grade - going into 2nd and 3rd next year! I have been pleasantly surprised. My eyes are always WIDE open and if I ever saw anything, I would take them out and homeschool myself. Two things I want to say. My thinking is that you and your husband definitely need to be on the same page. My husband was not for homeschooling and felt strongly it was not for our family (now). Now I see that he was right. I think any time our husband doesn't stand with us, it's probably not the best since that lack of support, no matter how miniscule, could really upset the balance of the family. Number two. I have seen so clearly that my children's personalities have a great deal to do with our choice of schooling, too. I did not think that would be so much of the case- it surprised me. My girls are very social and really love that part of it. It' provided lots of opportunities for talk with them about friends, what's going on, and how we can pray for them. I am very involved at school, too so I feel very plugged in with everything - teacher-friends-parents, etc... I can see great benefits to it, and also it does give me a much needed break, and I am a better mom to them because of it. By the time they get home, I am refreshed and ready for the next part of our day together. Just thought I'd play a bit of devils advocate here - and say that God is just as much in control of our kids there as at home especially if you are praying consistently throughout everything (choice of friends, right teacher, etc..) I feel so peaceful having made the best choice for my girls. With that said, I take it year by year. I pray God shows me if and when I need to homeschool, and I am totally prepared to do that. The choice shouldn't be based just on what's best for the kids but also how it will affect your energy level, marriage, and family life. Just a lowly opinion from a lowly fellow mom! Whatever you choose, good luck!
~ Angela
Just wanted to say I reallly appreciate Angela's comment. It made me think of a sermon I listened to from Mark Driscoll (he's a pastor at a huge church in Seattle the name is escaping me right now).
Anyways, he talked about how he believes it is of course nessecary to adhere to ALL biblical principles and follow what scripture teaches but there are areas in our life where we just need to let God lead. And that in those areas it is OK to impose SELF directed legalism - meaning we hold ourselves to certain rules and standards in order to be obedient to what God has called us to do BUT that it is NOT OK to impose that legalism on others.
Just thought that was applicable to our conversation. That there is no right way...God doesn't say "thou shalt school your children at home or in a group setting..." He does say this though:
Deuteronomy 6:7-10 (New International Version)
(the "them" in this verse being what God's laws and commandments)
7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
So as long as you are following scripture in my heart I believe that you are glorifying God in the education of your children and that is what we should all strive to do. :) Not pressure one another to conform to God's plan for our own lives but be exceedingly aware of His plan for us personally. All the while, sharing our experience as He moves in our lives and letting the Spirit speak to others in the process.
Thanks for all the posts and resources! I know this is such a passionate topic. Tony and I have gone back and forth on the homeschooling vs. public school topic. I feel like so much of it is child dependent. Elijah is so sensitive, I have concerns about him in public schools. We have seen quite a lot with him in preschool this year, both pros and cons. Amelia on the other hand, in my opinion, is one who NEEDS a public school setting. We will see how she does this next year in preschool. My desire to go to a conference is to hear from speakers on the topic. I feel like I have so many great resources here from moms that both home school and from moms that have kiddos in public school. Ultimately, we will do what God tells us...it's just a matter of deciphering all the info and really hearing His voice on it. Which honestly, is where we are both stuck. Thanks again for all the posts! I really appreciate them and have adored all the links/opinions. Willow - I just got Heart of Anger and Teach Them Diligently in the mail. Thanks for the referrals. I'm so excited to start them. (I have one to finish first, then get to start on them) I am sooo ready for a new parenting approach....more on that later, but we are having significant problems with Amelia.
Becky, if you end up going, let me know... I would love to go with you (um to the Portland one, NOT the one up in Spokane LOL).
Post a Comment