Friday, November 20, 2009

Surveying the damage...warning...graphic photos

The "Eternal Flame" in the front of Doernbecher Children's Hospital

Amelia's surgery was a success on Tuesday. Praise the Lord. It was a long, emotional day for all of us, but we are happy to report that she is healing nicely and getting back to her old self fairly quickly. The doctor was confident that the mass will be benign, but as per protocal, they are running it just to be safe. It turns out, Amelia had a lymphangioma/cavernous hemangioma. Bascially, it was a large blot clot that developed a "sac" of tissue around it. They severed the vein that was effected, and re-routed it. We are thankful that it was an "insignificant" vein and not one that is in any way neccessary. We are anxious for the results and hopeful that we will get a good report.
This was the mass prior to surgery.

Amelia's teacher sent her to the hospital with a "Care Package." Amelia was so excited to go to the hospital and open it that the night before we went in, she woke up at 12:20am, dressed herself and came in and told us she was ready to go...she said she didn't want to miss it!

Here's Amelia with "Arial Yeow-Ming" & her yobbie...her lovies.

Here's Daddy & Sissy coloring Disney Princesses to pass the time, we had a LONG wait!Out from her surgery, 2 hours had passed, longer than expected. She was pretty groggy, but loving that grape popsicle.Not long after she finished her popsicle, she asked me to crawl in bed with her. I rubbed her hair like my mom used to do to me, and sure enough, she was asleep within seconds.Leaving the hospital in her wheel chair. Her and Yeow Ming had matching IV's.As SOON as we walked in the door, she wanted to open her "prize" from mommy & daddy and from Poppa & Ga Ga!! PRINCESS ATTIRE! She HAD to put it on immediately! Then, she had to put on her special new princess jammies from Poppa & Ga Ga.

Today, Friday, was the first day we were able to take off the bandage...and survey her wound. Ouch, it looks painful. They put in two drain holes to allow drainage, and the incision is pretty big. I gave her a sponge bath and she is VERY nervous about anyone touching or getting near it unprotected. She seems better when it's wrapped and her pain medication is in full effect. What a brave little girl we have. Amelia has always been a real "fighter."

Thanks to everyone who prayed, brought us dinner, gave Amelia "treasures" to keep her mind off the pain, took care of the boys so we could take care of her....We are blessed by the friends and family in our life who continually have our back in support. Elijah was at a friends house the day we were at the hospital, and on the way home he said, "Mom, when I was eating dinner with them, I felt like I was a part of their family!" That is just priceless to me. To know that he felt that way...what good friends we have! We are so thankful!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky, I was waiting to hear the news of how it went...SO glad it all went well and sucessful! I bet you are relieved..but Im sure much more so when the results are confirmed. I related closely with this situation because of my daughters surgeries and one of them with the mass in her tonsil that could have been cancerous...my heart and prayers were with you (and still are). SO happy things went well. Thankyou, Lord! and...WHEW!!
Blessings, friend!

Unknown said...

What a tough little cookie you have! You are all a blessing to everyone around you and I'm not surprised that you have lots of people who love you!! Glad the surgery is OVER and she's healing quick! Love you all!!

Unknown said...

Becky-
She is such a trooper! I am so glad that everything went well and Amelia is doing well. I also can related sort of to your situation. Michael was bit by a kid when he was 13 months old and had surgery. He has a large inscision on his leg and a drain hole scar. I hope that the results come back negative and that she will soon forget about all of this. My thoughts will still be with be with you and your family through this.

Mel said...

So very glad the surgery went well and happy to hear that Amelia is now home. She is so brave. Praise God.... It does look bad - I just want to hug her. Love to you all. Mel

Erin said...

SO happy all is well!!! AMelia is a brave little girl and now has a new story to add to her amazing testimony! You two are great parents and handled the situation so admirably. :)

Ouch! That WAS a big incision!