
I can't beleive it. Elijah read 4 BOB books today. I couldn't be more proud, and I just had to blog about it. My BIGGEST fear about homeschooling is that if I fail, HE fails. And, teaching someone how to read is completely new and uncharted territory for me. I'm just soooo excited for him. It's my prayer and hope that reading is something he will grow to love and enjoy. I have grown and learned so much from reading. It's one of my favorite things to do!
The coolest thing...I found BOB books at Costco yesterday! I've made a reward system for him. When he finishes the first box set of BOB books (reading on his own) he get's
TOY STORY Wii - (the same game/ride he fell in LOVE with at Disneyland)
Elijah had his 6th birthday party at Big Al's on Friday. He and all his buddies had a blast bowling, eating, and RUNNING EVERYWHERE! LOL


The "Transformer" theme was a hit, and my cupcakes turned out pretty good!
He got some of the coolest presents! His friends were so generous!

He got some of the coolest presents! His friends were so generous!
This is Elijah and Abbie. Abbie was in his Pre-K class last year. He insists that he will marry Abbie, and he talks about her ALL the time. Which actually has worked out nicely...I told him he has to make his bed cause when he's married, Abbie won't do it for him and he has to learn to pitch in and help her....sure enough, he now makes his bed (almost every morning.)
Abbie had a broken arm at the party, and Elijah was quite the gentlemen in taking care of her and helping her out. They are just soooo cute! Their eyes are closed cause they were so love smitten with eachother.
4 comments:
That's awesome Becky! I have to say I feel that one of my greatest accomplishments as a mommy/teacher is teaching my girls to read. And they are like little book carnivores too - Averi especially! One thing we found very helpful for making the bridge from Bob books to simple Level One readers is learning lots of sight words. Just google "sight word list" and you'll find lots of word you can put on flash cards and work on with Elijah. It helped us a lot to incorporate those words in our handwriting - the girls learned them quicker if they were writing them as well. I was amazed how much of reading is really just sight words!
Glad you are feeling so great about teaching your sweet boy! I betcha Amelia is going to be reading before you know it!
I agree with Willow, sight words were huge with us because they allow the kids to read other types of books (rather then just phonetical ones).
I think you bought the hooked on phonics set right? That should have sight words in it... those are what we used with Brynna and they work great.
And YAY Elijah, I am so proud of him... and you!
Um, and totally cute about him and his future wife LOL!
Abbie is a perfect little lady for our perfect little grandson!! Yeah Elijah, you are reading like such a pro. Very proud of you!!
And Granny, glad you love the bracelet. It was my pleasure!
Yeah Elijah! So proud of you!
And the party was great!!! Abbie is cute and how adorable of them!!!
Post a Comment